Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ready Player One

I just finished reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (recommended by the guys from Programming Throwdown).


I don't consider myself a big science fiction fan, but I enjoyed this one.  One of the reviewers of this book said that it is a cross between the Matrix and Harry Potter, which is an apt description.  It doesn't require advanced science or programming knowledge.

The premise of the story is as follows.  There is a contest in a virtual reality world/game with a humungous prize.  The game depends on playing video games and amassing trivial knowledge from the 1980s.

As always, different people will enjoy and dislike different parts of the book.

The thing I liked most was the idea of working hard and preparing.  The contest was unpredictable, so the contestants spent all their waking hours learning and practicing anything they could get their hands on.  Those who prepared the hardest and smartest did the best.

If you are looking for a feel-good book that anyone could read, I'd highly recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment