Wednesday, April 3, 2013

First Impressions of Macbook Air

My Macbook Air arrived today.  These are my first impressions.

Let's get physical 

Before I get to installing software and running stuff, the computer's physical attributes deserve some attention.  This laptop is light and hard.  The edges of the computer are pretty rough, and I can imagine my wrists feeling sore from them over time.  Hopefully, I get used to the hard-ness, but I hope I never take its lightness for granted.

Onto the softer side

The first time I turned on the computer, I was asked to do some upgrades.  I complied, and after a restart, I checked the memory.  Starting from a 128 GB hard drive I had about 97 GB free to use.

I then installed some programs.  I was a bit confused as to the process.  I click on the downloaded file.  It sometimes opens a file on the desktop, sometimes it has a file ready for copying to another location, ... I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I sure do not grok it just yet.
  • Citrix - I need this to remote connect to work, which is Windows machine.  Login worked great and it seemed to work more seamlessly than when I logged in from Ubuntu.  I will need to do some additional checking with emphasis that I can do everything with a Mac keyboard as I am logged into a Windows machine.
  • Eclipse - I downloaded this.  I wasn't sure where it is best to install this.  I created a folder called Development in my home directory for now, and left the whole directory structure there.
  • Android SDK - I want to do some Android development, so I need this Software development kit.  I'll start up an emulator and test it out later.  For me, using an emulator was a pretty taxing operation on my old computer.  We'll see how the new computer fares.
  • Git - I can use this to retrieve my previous projects.
  • MacVim - I usually use gvim, so this will hopefully be very natural for me.  
  • Xcode - I've never used this, but I do want to see what it is.  
Everything installed pretty easily, so no complaints for now.  I'll try to do some things with these programs in the coming days.

Updates

  • After several months of usage, I'd recommend this computer to anyone.
  • I just checked online (July 2014), and I saw that this same Macbook (a refurbished mid-2012) is going for $779. I bought the same machine, also refurbished, for $999. 

No comments:

Post a Comment