Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Day Two with MacBook Air

So, today is my second day with the MacBook Air.

One of the driving forces I had for switching from Windows to Ubuntu in the past and now from Ubuntu to Mac OS X  is to learn new things.  But of course, on my first days of using a new computer, I need to do some sanity checks and make sure that I have the same functionality that I had before.

One of my biggest difficulties with my old computer was that it was completely incapable of running an Android emulator.  To do so, rendered my computer pretty useless.  So, I wanted to see how this new computer stacked up.  To test, I wanted to run one of old Android projects with an emulator.  These are steps needed to get started:
  • Downloaded and installed Eclipse
  • Downloaded Java support
  • Installed the Eclipse Android Developer Tools (ADT) plugin
  • Downloaded the Android SDK and told Eclipse where to find it
  • Downloaded an emulator (virtual device)
  • Used Git Hub for Mac to pull my old code from my repository
  • Downloaded one library which I didn't include the git repository
  • Cleaned and built the project
And, after all that.  I got my Android app to work with an emulator.  It worked much faster than on my old laptop - which is expected and good.  

So today, on day 2, I spent a bunch of time re-creating my old setup, struggled against my muscle memory as I fumbled with new keyboard shortcuts, confirmed that my new laptop is much faster than my old one, and started to use one new program, GitHub for Mac, which is pretty cool.

And as a final checkpoint for the day, I just checked and I'm now down to 91 GB of free space. This is down from 97GB from the time I first opened this laptop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment