Sunday, March 3, 2013

Taxes

I just did my taxes today.  Here are some observations.

Turbotax is not linux friendly.
I am running Ubuntu and my default browser is chromium.  After logging into their site, I got a warning saying that I had to use either Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Chrome.  I guess Chromium isn't the same as Chrome. Ok, no problem, I have firefox.  I switched browsers, logged in again, but was denied access again.  I didn't feel like debugging the problem, so I decided to log off of my ubuntu operating system and use Windows.  That's what dual booting is all about.  So there's one more reason why I can't wipe Windows from my life completely.

Turbotax is pretty user friendly.
I used Turbotax last year, and it was able to remember some of my information.  Since none of the major financial details in my life changed at all (lived in the same place, worked for the same employers, and so on), it was great that Turbotax was able to auto-populate a lot of details.  I'm not sure why, but it was able to import alot of my wife's information while I had to input some more items, but it was more or less very easy to use.  I finished inputting the details in about 15 minutes.

No default is the default.
For many screens in the Turbotax wizard there are a series of options with the final one being none of the above.  For example, they might ask, have you worked over seas, or worked in the military, or made money gambling etc ... and you can check yes to one or more of these.  But there's also another choice at the end that says, None of the above.  I hate it when that None of the above choice isn't selected by default.  I guess that's just a pet-peave of mine.  If it weren't for having to click on that choice, I might have been able to finish my taxes in 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment