Thursday, July 3, 2014

Google permissions

A list of items Google Search needs access to. Devices, Identity, Phone, ...
This morning, the Google Search app on my Android phone had an update. Upon reviewing the update, I saw that the app wanted access to just about everything.

I tried to take a screenshot of the things it wanted access to, but it wouldn't fit in one screen. In addition to the picture, it wanted access to "Device ID & call information" and "Other". 

It seems like they asked for permission to access just about everything on my phone. They will know who I am "Identity", where I've been "Location", who I've been in touch with "SMS" and "Phone", what I look like "Camera", and they can send it all back to the cloud "Wi-Fi Connection". 

If it were any other company, I wouldn't install an app that requires this many permissions. But they are Google, and I've already gotten used to the idea.

At what point does Google Search become spyware?

Disclaimer
After I took the screenshot, I, obviously, accepted the conditions and updated the app. 

Related Post

No comments:

Post a Comment