Sunday, January 13, 2013

Gnome 3

For my home computer, I have been using the Ubuntu operating system with the Unity interface for the last year.  I chose the Unity interface, because it was the default one chosen for me.  About a week ago, I was having some issues with remote desktops not opening nicely in Ubuntu+Unity so I started using the Gnome 3 interface.  Here are some notes on window management with Gnome and Ubuntu.

Workspaces
For those who don't know, "Workspaces" are a way to group windows.  I typically put all social (time-wasting) programs into one workspace, things I'm actively working with in another window, and some reference material in another workspace.  Here is a screen shot of my desktop showing active windows in the current workspace and a few other workspaces shown on the right.

You can see your workspaces by:
  1. Move your mouse to the top left hand corner of the screen.
  2. Press Alt+F1.
  3. Press the Windows button.
You can switch workspaces, by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Up or Down direction.

You can switch between windows that are in any workspace by pressing Alt+Tab. I'm not sure if there is a way to make alt+tab to work for only windows in the current workspace.

Window size management
To maximize your window:
  1. Drag the window to the top of the screen.  If you hold it there for a moment, and then release, it just works.
  2. Press Windows+Up direction.
To change the window to half of the screen:
  1. Drag the window to the left or right of the screen.
  2. Press Windows+Left or Right direction.
Other Resources
http://www.filiwiese.com/installing-gnome-on-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

No comments:

Post a Comment