Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First time using coursera

A few days ago, I registered for my first class using coursera.  Coursera provides free online courses from top-notch educators.  The first class I am taking is https://class.coursera.org/db/class, by Jennifer Widom from Stanford University.

I use databases pretty often, so I expect to be familiar with a lot of the material.  Nevertheless, I hope the course will help me fill in gaps of knowledge that I might have missed and organize my understanding of databases in general.

So far, I have only watched the first lecture, which was just introductory material on databases.  Here are my some things that I liked.
  • The quality of the video and audio is good.  It is clear and clean.
  • The video has subtitles, which I turn on even when I have audio on.  
  • The video also lets you change the playback speed. I set it to 1.25x speed.  When I come to a lecture where the material is more unfamiliar or a bit difficult to understand, I can reduce it back to normal speed. 
  • Each lecture is relatively short. The longest one goes for 30 minutes, but many are around 15 minutes.
  • The ability to pause and rewind is great and much better than live lectures.  If I missed something I can rewind and try again.  Or, I can go on the internet and search for a different explanation.  I can then move on with the lecture when I feel ready. 
Overall, I think coursera is a pretty great service, and I hope that I persevere long enough to benefit from it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment