Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tools I use today

I found an old blog post that I forgot to publish.  I'll post it now, because it's better late than never.

It's July, 2013.

When I have kids, and they grow up, I bet they will have all kinds of gadgets that would seem like science fiction to me.  Hopefully, I will also be playing with new gadgets as well.  In any case, I wanted to give a state of affairs of my belongings today.

In the future, I can compare what I have and use today with what my kids find commonplace for them.  I may nostalgically reminisce about the archaic tools of my past.  Or, I may find that the tools of yesteryear were really good enough.

Computing devices:
Phone - Samsung Galaxy Nexus 16GB
This phone runs the Android operating system.  I bought it about 1 year ago.  The thing that I am most likely to do on this phone is to read.  If I just read news articles, the battery will run out by the end of the day.  So, I often charge my phone wherever I go.

Computer - Apple MacBook Air 13.3-Inch Laptop
I bought this a few months ago. It is my first apple/Mac computer.  Previously I used a dual booted Windows/Linux laptop for well over 5 years.  This thing is comfortably light, and the battery life seems to be more than sufficient for my day to day use.

Tablet - ASUS Nexus 7 (7-Inch, 32GB) Tablet
My wife gave me this for Christmas last year.  I haven't really found much usage for it.
If there is ever a choice, I tend to go with either my phone or computer.
In my world of somewhat redundant technology, this tablet gets the least of my attention.

Travelling - Bike - Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike
I am lucky enough to commute to work by walking.  On the rare occasion that I want to move faster, I may travel by subway or ride my bike, a Dahon Speed Uno.  This is a fold-able, single speed bike.  I got it almost 2 years ago.  My wife bought it for me for my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment