Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Motivation

I experienced a few things yesterday and they all led me to the same thought.  I'll note them here, and you can try to guess what feeling I had after each one.
  1. I played in a basketball game where my team was completely annihilated.  It was like the NBA vs the pee wee league.  We were totally outclassed.
  2. I was looking over some old code that fumbled through a few actions: unzip files, delete a subset of them, re-zip remaining files and then move them to another directory.
    After some thought, and reading through 'man zip' and 'man find', I replaced garbled nested code with a few clean unix one-liners.    
  3. I found out that an old buddy of mine had started his own company in a field that he has loved since we were kids.  
If it wasn't apparent to you, I'll tell you now. The feeling I had after each of these events was motivation (or maybe ambition).

After losing my basketball game, I felt that I had to get back into shape and practicing regularly.  After finding out a cool solution to a coding problem, I had a revitalized feeling to continue studying and reading to uncover cool solutions.  Finally, after hearing about my friend, along with being very happy for him, I also felt motivated to do more with my life.  

Yesterday, no matter what happened, I felt motivated.  It is similar to that old Tootsie roll commercial, "Whatever it is I think I see, becomes a Tootsie Roll to me".  I was drawing motivational fuel from whatever I was seeing or experiencing.  Let's hope I can keep putting it into action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment