Friday, December 13, 2013

Rating my reading

I got an email from Pocket today.  Pocket is an app that I use to read articles.  Today, they sent me a report of how many words I read in the last year.  My stats are here.  So far, in 2013, which isn't over yet, I have read 748,610 words.

I don't know how this number is calculated.  Do they know if I opened an article and closed it before finishing?  What if I opened an article more than once?  In the end it doesn't matter.  .75 million words is my new benchmark.

More than the absolute number, the more interesting part of the given statistics was that I was in the 95% percentile of users.  This means, I read more than what 95% other users read.  So this tells me something interesting.

Over time, I'd like to see how much I've been reading versus myself.  Maybe after some life events, like if I have kids, I will see a huge drop off in reading.  Maybe nothing will change over time.

It felt good to get this report.  I think reading is worthwhile (so does this guy), and it's encouraging to hear that I've done a lot of it.  Maybe I'm vain, but statistics about oneself are interesting.  It's one of the reasons I started building the app usage monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment