Monday, June 9, 2014

Display link issues

Today, I am giving a status report on my experience connecting my Macbook Air (running OS Mavericks) to a Anker USB hub with usb to display link adapters to 2 external Dell U2410. 
See the image for a schematic of the major pieces. 

DisplayLink has issued warnings that things aren't perfect: "Unfortunately there are still issues using multiple DisplayLink displays on OS X 10.9. A summary of these known issues can be found in this article."

My experience has been random. 
Sometimes, it works perfectly. 
Sometimes, only one of the external monitors get a signal. 
Sometimes, things work fine and then one of the monitors just goes blank. 

I think things work better if I start with my laptop completely OFF, and things work a bit worse if I start from a laptop that was just in Sleep Mode. 

I'm living with it, but I hope things improve in the next version of Mac (OS Yosemite).

*Update* - July 4, 2015 - I tried to use this set up today, and it didn't work. The external monitors were recognized, but they would show a blank screen. I tried restarting, unplugging, etc... but it was to no avail. I finally got it to work by reducing the resolution of each monitor several notches worse than their optimal settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment