Sunday, May 17, 2015

Trying out Flask

I have been building a new web application, called Done Notes.

To build the application, I have been playing around with some new toys:

  • Flask is a web framework for Python. It's supposedly a micro-framework, but it seems to do a lot for you. This makes it easy to do things, but hard to debug.

  • Postgresql is an open souced sql database. I have been playing with no-sql data stores, so it's very comfortable to return to using a relational, sql-based database.

  • Heroku is a cloud application platform. I haven't really had a need to debug things on the cloud or stressed the resource limitations. So far, it has been just fine.

  • Alembic is a database migration tool. This tool connects my data models with database migrations. It generates upgrade and downgrade statements that are real sql statements (or very close to them). It makes version controlling your database changes easy to do.

I think it's nice to work with new tools once in a while. It can be frustrating, but it often helps you think differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment