Sunday, October 25, 2015

El Capitan is good

I upgraded to OS X El Capitan. So far, I am very pleased.

The first noticeable improvement is that my laptop, Macbook Air 13-inch, Mid 2012, works much better with DisplayLink. I am currently using two external monitors, Dell U2410, at 1900 x 1200 resolution each with the laptop in clamshell (closed) mode. I can see that the screen has been turned off completely. In previous OS X versions, the laptop had to remain open and 1 of the external monitors would eventually just stop getting a signal after some time. I have only seen consistent good behavior.

The second noticeable improvement is something I might just be imagining. I think the amount of free disk space that I have has gone up by a few GB. Usually upgrades mean more disk space consumed, but I don't think that happened to me. Maybe I don't remember exactly how much disk space I had used before, and this is flat out wrong. In any case, the disk space consumption hasn't gone up noticeably, so that's good.

I have been a bit underwhelmed by the 'snapping' features for window management. It requires use of a mouse and clicking on the little green icon on top of a window. I'd rather have some keyboard shortcuts that do it for me. For now, I'll stick to using Spectacle.

I have not noticed any negative have only noticed improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment