Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Log Me

I love logs. The other day, a colleague asked me about a conversation we had several months ago. The conversation was with another colleague who had since left our team.

I could barely remember the project, so I didn't really remember what we had discussed back then.

Thankfully, I'm pretty diligent about keeping notes and logs of my activities at work. A quick grep search brought me to the relevant notes and I was able to dig out what we spoke about. Also, re-reading the notes helped me remember a bit more about what we were thinking at the time.

Our brains have amazing recall, but a little external reminder can help our brains perform even better.

I've been pretty good at taking notes at work, but I've got to get better at taking notes in my non-work life. With our ubiquitous set of technological tools, it seems possible for me to log everything about myself and to essentialy not forget anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment