Sunday, January 24, 2016

Back to School

I have just started the coursera course Algorithms Part 1.

I half-heartedly tried out the course before. I listened to some of the lectures, I glanced through some of the exercises and programming assignments, and I may have tried to do some quickly (using Python instead of Java). But this time, I am going to give it a good effort and do all of the assignments and try to really complete and pass the course.

On Friday, the course began, and I started watching the videos. After the introduction video, I found it easier to just read the lecture notes and the slides. It was quieter and I felt myself concentrating a little bit more. As things get a bit more complex, I may watch the video, especially when there are demos that don't animate in the slides.

By Saturday, I finished the first round of lectures, and I began looking at the programming assignment. Since it's the first assignment, I've been spending a lot of time getting my environment set up. I tried the recommended IDE called Dr Java, but it felt a bit unpolished. I decided to use Eclipse, which I had to re-install. Eclipse is not as light-weight, but I think it makes things a little easier to do, especially since I am a novice Java programmer.

It's a bit annoying getting all of this started. I wish they had set up an initial pre-class assignment before. Before the class started, I could have tried to set things up, and we could have had a simple HelloWorld style project where I could iron out the process of creating files and submitting them. Oh well, once I get this working right, hopefully it won't be so bad in subsequent weeks.

Ok, time for breakfast, and then I will go ahead and give the first week's programming assignment a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment