Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Bugs at Work Messing with My Head

I was debugging an issue yesterday, but I could not fix it.

From the start, I knew the problem failed in an API call written by some other team. I traced through the unfamiliar code stack and determined the problem was that I couldn't write to a given database. But the settings on the machine indicated otherwise. So, it took me all day, and I was still stuck.

Because I couldn't perform at work, I was in a bad mood.

Apologies to my wife. The bug screwed me up.

Update
I subsequently found out that the problem was a deprecated API that was no longer supported in my test environment. It was as if I was trying to figure out why a webpage was rendering poorly on Internet Explorer 6 on a Windows NT machine.

After I discovered this, it just didn't make any sense to try to fix this problem anymore. So, that put an end to my debugging. All in, about 7 hours wasted, but now I could at least move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment