Sunday, February 7, 2016

Daily Workouts

I can't remember exactly when, but a while ago, I started doing daily workouts at home. I started with the 7 minute workout and used this app to help me along. I loved the idea of getting in shape at home, for free, and (most importantly) quickly.

After a while, I wanted to increase the intensity, so I started following more intense body weight workouts from youtube. I used youtube videos for a while, but there were some things I didn't like about it. A lot of workouts had me jumping up and down, which I can't really do inside my apartment early each morning. I also wanted to increase the resistance of some movements. So I decided to buy a kettlebell.

After some research, I ordered a beautiful 35 pound kettlebell from Rogue Fitness. With it, I have been doing a daily workout that I have grown to love. Here's my daily workout:

  • 1 Turkish Get Up / side. I use this as my warm up.
  • 30 2 handed swings. I use this to get my heart rate up and to concentrate on getting perfect swinging form.
  • 10 1 handed swings / side. These are still pretty challenging for me, so I try to just do a small number to get my form right.
  • 6 clean + squat + press / side. This combines a bunch of the essential kettlebell movements into one.
  • 6 pull ups.
  • 20 push ups.
  • 15 V ups.
  • 5 single legged sqauts. I can't quite complete these yet without hitting the ground.

This workout gets my heart rate up without me having to jump around in my apartment, and I feel like I'm getting stronger. It takes me about 10 minutes to complete. It would take me longer to commute to any gym than it does for me to finish my entire workout. My wife runs alot, and that takes so much longer (although I do plan on running a bit more on weekends once the weather gets a bit nicer).

As I get used to this workout, I think it will be straightforward for me to make things harder. More reps, new moves, and eventually another (heavier) kettlebell are in my future. Hopefully, this is all working.

No comments:

Post a Comment