Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A mostly positive work day

Today, I left work feeling good.
I spent much of the morning doing general file management stuff: checking in small code changes, moving files to save space, and updating a makefile to improve linking dependencies in libraries and other rather trivial, yet time consuming tasks.  This type of work requires careful attention, but no deep thought.  At the end of it, you feel productive and can see tangible differences. 

I then spent some time working on the early stages of a project.  At this point, I'm beginning to design classes and I'm blissfully unaware of how my design choices are limiting and ill-conceived.  I'm still at the start of the project life-cycle, so I don't feel any of the time-constraints of an impending deadline.  This is one of the times when being a software developer is a pretty good gig.


I finished the day meeting with my intern as he gave a quick presentation of his work to a couple of guys in our group.  He still has a way to go before he can give a polished presentation, but I'm glad to know that I might be able to help him get better.

All in all, a stress-free, satisfying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment