Monday, June 18, 2012

Last surgery for mom

Today, I took my mom to the hospital to have her chemotherapy port removed.  This implanted device was used to deliver Cancer-fighting drugs.  Thus, removal of the port signifies her successful battle with Cancer.
In other great Mom-related news, she told me that she has begun volunteering more as a Korean-English translator for those who need help in hospitals, courts, or other government offices like social security offices and DMVs.  There are a few aspects of this volunteering that has given my mom a lot of joy. 1) She enjoys helping people. 2) She is utilizing her skills (past experience as a nurse, past experience as a patient). 3) She is gaining opportunities to learn about others experiences.
As I have been evaluating my career path, it's been inspirational to hear about my Mom who has found a new career path at the start of her "retirement".

No comments:

Post a Comment