Monday, June 3, 2013

2012-2013 NBA season

We are about one week from the end of the NBA season.

Even though I am a huge NBA fan, I am glad that the season is almost over.  Being an NBA fan is time-consuming.  I read about the NBA (Zach Lowe has the best stuff these days), listen to podcasts (the best NBA podcast is the Basketball Jones), and of course watch games (which I typically watch recordings of). 

Given the time commitment, I have been toying around with the idea of giving up my fandom.  
While I may never totally give up the NBA, this may be the last season that I follow the game very closely.  Here are some things I will remember from this season.

1. Teamwork (chemistry) seems important.
When the Knicks were playing great, assists were high, scoring was easy, and the game was beautiful.  The Lakers looked lost all season, and it did not seem as if they liked each other.

2. Shaquille O'Neal has no business being on the TNT broadcast team.
His comments are never insightful.  His interactions with Ernie, Kenny and Charles are awkward.  He mumbles.  He replaced the great Chris Webber, whose analysis was incredible.  Please fire Shaq.  At least make him a sideline reporter.

3. The NBA serves many masters.  In game 6 of the Heat-Pacers Eastern Conference finals, Chris "Birdman" Andersen was suspended for shoving Tyler Hansbrough.  In the pre-game highlights for game 7, the shove was shown as one of the highlights of the series.  Why is a punishable offense part of the highlights?

4. Everyone in the NBA is a remarkable athlete.  I tend to find the ones with the greatest physical advantage to be boring.  This year, my favorite players to watch were Stephen Curry, Jason Kidd, and Manu Ginobli.  

No comments:

Post a Comment