Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Office Ends

For as far back as I can remember, there has always been a television show that has been targeted to my age group.

Over the years, I remember watching Full HouseSaved by the BellBeverly Hills 90210, and Friends.  Each of these shows seemed to be made for me.  Most recently, The Office coincided with me getting my first real office job.  A few weeks ago, the series finale aired, which I watched today.

Here are some notes on how I felt watching the show
  • I felt a strong sense of sad nostalgia.  Unlike school, where there is a new beginning after graduation, the end of office life seems depressing.  Most of my youth was spent studying for a career, and when that career is over, I don't know what I will do or how I will feel.  
  • I wonder what show will capture the mood of my next stages in life.  Maybe (if I have kids) it will be Modern Family.  I wonder if shows will continue to target my age group anymore.  For example, MTV seems to target the teen audience.  
  • I always thought Michael was the star of the show, and then maybe Jim or Dwight.  But now I think it was Pam.  She had the most to learn, the most to overcome and the greatest lessons to impart.

No comments:

Post a Comment