Sunday, July 28, 2013

Google app engine python search tutorial

After completing an introductory tutorial for Google App Engine using python,  I was able to create the first version of an app engine project, englishtokoreanforum.appspot.com.  I modified and extended the tutorial a bit to set up a few other handlers and data types.

I then went on to the next Google App Engine tutorial, which would teach me how to set up searching over an index that I set up for this app.  Unfortunately, when I first tried it, the application in the tutorial would run, because of this issue.  (It has since been fixed after I upgraded to the next version of the GoogleAppEngineLauncher).  

Along with setting up the search index and functionality, this tutorial is nice because it isn't as trivial as the first tutorial.  It shows how someone might want to organize all the files that might go into a real project.  The different files types in this tutorial are *.html, *.py, *.yaml, *js, *css. It shows how to separate data files, test files and the main application.  This is invaluable for a beginner, and something that isn't often emphasized.

No comments:

Post a Comment