Monday, July 15, 2013

Google App Engine - Python

I already spent some time building a Google App engine product in Java. Java was a natural choice because because I was already working with Java (and Google) as I was building an Android App.  While I was/am making some progress it has been slower than I had hoped.  So, for my next Google App Engine App, I am going to give Python a try.

Again, similar to Java, I'm not very familiar with python, so this will be another learning experience.  I started by following this tutorial, https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/gettingstartedpython27/introduction, after which I was able to do many fundamental web actions (displaying a site, reading/writing to a datastore and responding to events).

My initial feeling is that it is great to develop without eclipse.  I believe that eclipse can be a great and powerful tool, but I have not mastered it yet.  Learning a new programming language and a new framework and a new IDE has been slow for me.

Just using a terminal to start a development server, mvim to code, and a browser to view is refreshingly simple.  Eclipse worked like magic, but for a beginner like me, it felt like black magic where I didn't what was going on.  One feature that I know I will miss when coding with mvim is code completion.

So, without further ado, here's the app I created.
http://englishtokoreanforum.appspot.com/
As of right now, it is the final product of the tutorial.  In the future, I envision to make a forum where users can view and enter english to korean translations.

As a final note, I mistakenly chose this appspot domain name.  I was playing around with different titles, and hit enter by accident.  Anyway, I'll live with it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment