Tuesday, July 30, 2013

One project down, another to begin

In my experience, software programs are never finished.  You can always add a new feature, optimize some back end code, or integrate it into another workflow.  The reason why we stop working on a program is either boredom, someone deems it good enough, or the bosses want you to work on something else that they is more important.

Nevertheless, almost all projects come to some end.  Today, one of my projects came to an end.  Well, it's more like we've reached a milestone that we targeted a few months ago.  After a lot of hard work and a few late nights, we actually finished just about everything we set out to do, hooray!

In the coming days, we'll be planning the next things we'd like to work on.  I have some opinions on what would be the best features to work on, but it will be something that a few people will discuss and come to some consensus about.  In the end, the features we decide to work on will not affect my day to day life.

As a new project is being planned, the most important bit is estimating how long the project will take.  If I underestimate how much time I will need, it will put pressure on me to finish code faster and may lead to buggier code.  So this time around, I will do my best to give myself ample time.  I will do my best to not work overtime (aka, I will not work for free).

No comments:

Post a Comment