Thursday, August 23, 2012

Driving out of NYC

In New York City, public transportation, whether subway, bus, rail or taxi-cab, is superior to driving a car - in most situations.  In the remaining instances, like going to the suburbs for a friend's birthday and then picking up some groceries, having a car of your own is often better.

Here are the options for getting back and forth to long island when you don't own a car.

Public transportation (Taxicab, subway, LIRR)
- Subway is $2.25 per ride.
- Long island rail road  is about $8.25 per ride (more or less depending on distance).
- Taxicab to and from train stations or to and from subway - $12.

Rent a car from Hertz, Avis, Budget, Alamo, etc ...
- No sign up fee.
- Typically, you have to refill the gas.
- On weekends, the rates are around $200/day.

Zip car
- You need to sign up and there's a fee.
- There is an annual fee of $60 / year.
- Gas is free.
- Weekend rates of $85 / day.

Hertz On Demand
- You need to sign up in and get approved. I just applied, so I'm waiting on their response. (Update: it took 10 days for them to send me an email saying that I was approved and that they were sending me a vehicle entry device.  Then, another week went by before I got the device).
- There is no sign up fee and no annual / monthly fee.
- I think gas is included.
- Price quotes are hard to find.  I've heard that they're trying to undercut Zip Car prices.  I will update after I become a member. (Update: For the upcoming weekend, I found rates for about $18 for 1 hour and about $140 for about 8 hours.).    

Relay Rides
- This is a car sharing, where you directly contact another car owner.
- Free sign up and instant access.
- Typically, you will have to refill the gas you use.
- Rates decided on by the car owner.  I saw rates as long as $40 /day and as high as $200 / day.

No comments:

Post a Comment