Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Working On My Legacy Code

A few years ago I started a project called the English To Korean Forum. I thought it would be a good learning experience, and at the end, I'd have a useful application for myself.

I don't remember why, but I eventually stopped working on it. The application somewhat worked, but it didn't have all of the features that I dreamt it could have.

That is the fate of many projects. Started, but not completed. Hoped for, but not fulfilled.

Last weekend, I had an urge to work on that old application again. I opened the folder with the code with some trepidation. Surprisingly, the code wasn't so bad. After reviewing the README, I was quickly able to start making enhancements again. There were some things that I wasn't doing back then like using a Makefile or writing unit tests, but the code was relatively comprehensible.

So, last weekend, I found out that working on my own legacy code wasn't that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment