Saturday, November 3, 2012

Android App Updates

A couple of thoughts/questions about best practices for rolling out android app changes.

1. Is there a way to publish a new version of an app, but have it released or activated for only a limited set of users?  Or just for me at most?
One way to test a new version is to circumvent the Google Play store.  You can distribute your apk to testers any way you like and then you can use an app like Airdroid to install new versions of your app.  This is especially useful if you want to test how upgrades rather than clean installs. 

2. How often should I push out updates? 
It'd be coolest for me to push out frequent incremental changes.  This is better for testing and backing out changes if needed.
However, I don't want to annoy my users with constant updates. 

3. Do most android users set automatic updates to be on for their apps? How can I find out whether my users have turned this feature on?
I'm open to any suggestions. I wonder if Google collects such stats ...

more questions to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment