Thursday, November 1, 2012

Google reader

I am a big fan of Google Reader.  With that said, I've been using it for about a year now, and that's just enough time for me to begin complaining about it.  

Duplicates.
Some feeds suffer from duplicate posts.  It would be nice if Google Reader could skip articles where the title and text are exactly the same.  I imagine that these are appearing because the meta-data is different or the feed provider made a duplicate post, but as a reader, this is pollution.

Articles, videos, podcasts ...
I wish there was a way to filter out non-text based articles that are basically links to a video or audio link.  I suppose some people want to see these, but I generally don't want to.  I imagine this is difficult to do, because just about any article could have links to external links.  Maybe there should be a filter that excludes any 'article' that has less than 200 words or something like that?

Pointers ...
Similar to the gripe above, some feeds contain only a title and a snippet of the article.  I wish Google Reader could capture the whole article to save me from having to click into the article and then requiring multiple clicks to get out of the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment