Friday, November 23, 2012

Contrived emotions

I'm watching American Idol with my wife.  More accurately, my wife is watching American Idol and preventing me from watching basketball.  For my wife's sake and ultimately mine as well, I'll voice my complaints with the show in this blog post, instead of to her. 

Today is the Thanksgiving episode, so each singer or group is dedicating their performance to someone they are thankful towards.  And boy oh boy, are they laying it on thick.  We've had dedications to a single mom, a dad who gave up his dream of music, a long-lost sister, youth mentors, and the big cheese himself - GOD. 

I know that giving these singers a back story is important for viewers to feel connected, but I wish they would just focus on the product of the show - singing performances, instead of forcing these contrived stories onto us.
But, if others like the show the way it is, as evidenced by the millions of viewers (including my significant other), I guess I'm better off complaining in relative silence on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment