Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Blog List

Blogger has a widget called 'Blog List' which is a list of blogs that you endorse.  I like this idea in priciple.  If you like this blog, maybe you would like to read what I like to read.  So, there's a list.

But I wanted to also note why I like a certain blog so that you'd have some reference as to why I think it's good and how it influences me.  So this post, which I will add to over time is my annotated blog list.

Scripting News by Dave Winer.
This is the model I use for my blog.  Dave covers a wide range of topics from the techie tools he likes, the software he hates and loves, politics, basketball, movies and biking in New York City (to name a few).  I think most people recommend blogging about a single topic, but he doesn't follow that rule - and neither does my blog. 

Coding Horror by Jeff Atwood.
This is a blog from one of the founders of Stack Overflow.  In his words, this blog is about  "programming and human factors".  I find his posts to be well researched, easy to read and humorous.  Moreover, maybe it's just me, but I always find his posts to be challenging.  He challenges the reader to think harder and do better.  There was a series of posts a while ago about building a poker bot, and he said something to the effect that any decent programmer could build ones of these.  Is that true? I'm not sure, but I definitely felt challenged to think about it and see if I could do it or not. 

Blog Maverick by Marc Cuban.
Marc Cuban is very rich and owns the Dallas Mavericks basketball team.  He's an entrepreneur who writes mostly about business, technology, and politics. His posts typically argue some point, with a decent amount of depth: read - some of his posts can be pretty long.  However, he doesn't post very often, which balances things out.  I always find his posts to be thoughtful, and he's interested in alot of the same subjects I am peripherally interested in.

LifeHacker.
In contrast to most of my other blogs, lifehacker is more of a site with a feed that I subscribe to.  This site gives tips on how to be more productive in life.  There are tons of posts that I just skip over but there are often a few times a week where I will read through the post and learn something new.  For example, lifehacker taught me about the world of Do It Yourself robots like the arduino, and I started building one which might be the subject of a blog post later on.

Passive Income by Pat.
This blog provides articles on internet businesses.  He details with incredible transparency how much he makes, what works, and what doesn't.  This blog will inspire you and make you feel like a free-lance internet based job is actually possible.

More to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment